Browsing Items (7245 total)



http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows an Appalachian Training School (1903-1925) class standing in front of the Science Building, built 1911. Professor Chapell Wilson can be seen sitting in the foreground. Wilson taught education and psychology at Appalachian State from…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the 1929-1930 Women's Basketball team in front of the Women's Gymnasium, built 1934, at Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) in 1930. Women can be seen standing in their uniforms, while two players sit on the steps, one…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the price of self-serve regular (leaded) and unleaded gasoline in Boone, NC, in December 1986. The sign reads, "Regular .79.9" and "Unleaded .88.9." The student newspaper concluded these prices were higher than the average North…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows students sitting on the edge of a drained fountain in front of Varsity Gym in October 1986. A student in the center can be seen playing a guitar. This image appears in the October 2, 1986, edition of "The Appalachian" (p. 6B).


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows two stray dogs playing with a third dog, whose leash has been tied to a railing outside Rankin Science Hall, built 1963, in February 1986. Stray dogs were common on the Appalachian State campus during the 1970s and 1980s, where they…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the southern entrance to Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. It was formerly the first Faculty Apartments building on campus, providing eight apartments and thirty single…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the eastern corner of White Hall, built 1924, and the field beside it after a snowfall at Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) in the mid-1960s. Workman Hall, built 1940 and formerly known as North Hall, can be seen in the…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the attendees of the dedication ceremony for Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. People can be seen standing on the lawn in groups. Workman Hall was dedicated to…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the demolition of White Residence Hall, built 1924, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in June 1968. A segment in the center of the building can be seen partially collapsed from the rear. White Hall served as a dormitory…


f47adc740fbccee90f29e37b601b9694.jpg
This image shows the Director of Public Affairs Bob Allen standing with a woman outside Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, after its dedication at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. Workman Hall was dedicated to Economics…


343c8e714da4cc814e52f0b3f93004dd.jpg
This image shows the demolition of White Residence Hall, built 1924, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in June 1968. A bulldozer can be seen clearing a segment of the center of the building. White Hall served as a dormitory for 128…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the southern entrance to Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. It was formerly the first Faculty Apartments building on campus, providing eight apartments and thirty…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows a student sitting at a reel-to-reel tape recorder during the dedication of Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. He can be seen wearing headphones and adjusting a setting…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the southern entrance (main) to the first Faculty Apartments building, built 1938, at Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) in the late 1940s or early 1950s. It was formerly the first Faculty Apartments building on campus,…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the southern entrance to Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. It was formerly the first Faculty Apartments building on campus, providing eight apartments and thirty single…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the Director of Public Affairs Bob Allen standing with his wife, Mary Allen, outside Workman Residence Hall, built 1938, after its dedication at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in August 1967. Workman Hall was dedicated…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the demolition of White Residence Hall, built 1924, at Appalachian State University (1967-current) in June 1968. A section of the building can be seen collapsed. Four students can be seen walking on the Promenade in the foreground…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows a classroom at Appalachian Elementary School, built 1954 and also known as the Demonstration Elementary School. Papers and photographs can be seen taped outside a window looking into a classroom. Unoccupied desks and chairs can be…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows a classroom at Appalachian Elementary School, built 1954 and also known as the Demonstration Elementary School. Unoccupied desks and chairs can be seen organized in rows throughout the room. A janitor can be seen sweeping the floor. …


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the Cove Creek High School in Cove Creek, North Carolina, in the mid-1960s. It was one of five high schools in Watauga County that were merged by the Watauga County Board of Education to form Watauga High School, which opened in…


http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe
This image shows the construction of an extension of Welborn Hall, built 1925, at Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967). The rear of the original building and the 1958 addition can be seen on the right in the background. Originally known as…