Appalachian Elementary School, classroom, photo 2
 

http://contentdm.library.appstate.edu:81/cgi-bin/showfile.exe

Citation

“Appalachian Elementary School, classroom, photo 2,” Appalachian State University Libraries Digital Collections, accessed May 27, 2024, https://omeka.library.appstate.edu/items/show/14617.


Social Bookmarking


Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Title

Appalachian Elementary School, classroom, photo 2

Description

This image shows custodian Avery L. Jackson, Sr., sweeping the floor of a classroom in Appalachian Elementary School, built in 1954 and also known as the Demonstration Elementary School. Unoccupied desks and chairs can be seen organized in rows throughout the room. Appalachian Elementary School (1925-1975) was a cooperative institution between the Appalachian State Teachers College (1929-1967) and Watauga County Schools, where the College would provide a building and teachers for Watauga County students, providing teacher training to Appalachian State students. The program ended in 1975 and the building was renamed Whitener Hall in 1975. It was demolished in 2006. Avery L. Jackson, Sr., was a custodian for Appalachian Elementary School from 1952 to 1974.

Subject

Staff
Appalachian State University

Source

General Picture File, 2004.040, Box 6, Watauga County Schools, C14.1.6.6.

Publisher

University Archives, Appalachian State University

Contributor

News Bureau

Format

JPEG
Photographs

Language

English

Type

Image

Corporate Names

Appalachian State University. Appalachian Elementary School. Watauga County Schools (Watauga County, N.C.)

Place Names

Daniel J. Whitener Hall (1954)

Date Range

1970-1979

Series

Series 1 -- Campus and Buildings

File name

7297_2004_040_A.jpg

Sponsors

The Appalachian State University Historical Photographs Digitization Project is supported with federal Library Service and Technology Act (LSTA) funds made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the State Library of North Carolina, a division of the Department of Cultural Resources through the North Carolina ECHO, 'Exploring Cultural Heritage Online' Digitization Grant Program.

Tag

E73

Social Bookmarking

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>