This scrapbook documents the history of New River Light & Power (NRLP) through historical documents and photos.
Blanford Barnard and Dauphin Disco Dougherty established the New River Light and Power Company in 1915 to provide hydroelectric power to Appalachian Training School and the local community. On March 23, 1923, a fire destroyed the power plant and machinery. The structure was repaired and resumed operation on July 12, 1923. On October 30, 1924 a new power plant with a 26 foot concrete dam located on the Middle Fork of the New River began operation. The complex was located three miles outside of Boone near the Old Blowing Rock Road at Devil's Gate. This power plant remained in operation through 1972. In 1972, NRLP stopped generating power and started bringing in electricity exclusively from Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation.
Tags: Appalachian Training School, Blanford Barnard, Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation, Boone, dam, Dauphin Disco Dougherty, Hydroelectric power plants, New River, New River Power & Light, North Carolina, scrapbook, Watauga County N.C.