New River Light and Power Scrapbook


The Dougherty brothers established the New River Light & Power Company in 1915 to provide hydroelectric power to Appalachian Training School and the local community. The original 10-foot wooden dam and power plant constructed of native stone were located at the lower end of the Edminsten Farm on the South Fork of the New River. NRLP still serves the Boone area today. This scrapbook documents NRLPs evolution and nearly 100 years serving Watauga County and the Boone community.

This scrapbook documents the history of New River Light & Power (NRLP) through historical documents and photos.

Blanford Barnard and Dauphin Disco Dougherty established the New River Light and Power Company in 1915 to provide hydroelectric power to Appalachian Training School and the local community. On March 23, 1923, a fire destroyed the power plant and machinery. The structure was repaired and resumed operation on July 12, 1923. On October 30, 1924 a new power plant with a 26 foot concrete dam located on the Middle Fork of the New River began operation. The complex was located three miles outside of Boone near the Old Blowing Rock Road at Devil's Gate. This power plant remained in operation through 1972. In 1972, NRLP stopped generating power and started bringing in electricity exclusively from Blue Ridge Electric Membership Corporation.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

~