Across the Creek from Salem: The Story of Happy Hill, 1816-1952

Document Viewer

Title

Across the Creek from Salem: The Story of Happy Hill, 1816-1952

Description

This brochure advertizes an Old Salem exhibit about Happy Hill, the slave quarters of Salem, North Carolina. In 1861, St. Philip's Moravian Church was built to serve the Moravians' slaves and is North Carolina's oldest standing African American church. It includes a historical description of Happy Hill and Old Salem's capital campaign to restore St. Phillip's Moravian Church, operation hours, and admission price.

Subject

Salem (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
Description and travel
African American families
Happy Hill (Winston-Salem, N.C.)
St. Philip's Church (Winston Salem, N.C.)
Architecture--Appalachian Region
Negro Moravian Church (Winston-Salem, N.C.)

Publisher

W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection, Appalachian State University

Date

1998

Date Created

9/26/2007

Date Modified

9/26/2007

Format

pdf

Extent

1 folded sheet (4 p.): 20 x 22.5 cm. folded to 10 x 22.5 cm.

Language

English

Type

Brochure

Identifier

119_box_11_fd_04_AcrossTheCreek_A

Number of pages

2 pages

Artist

Old Salem

Social Bookmarking

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Citation

“Across the Creek from Salem: The Story of Happy Hill, 1816-1952,” Appalachian State University Digital Collections, accessed September 23, 2017, http://omeka.library.appstate.edu/items/show/14706.